GoBerserker  

Go Back   GoBerserker > Combat Abilities, Disciplines, & Alt Advancement > Disciplines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

Default Quick Reference Discipline Guide (Tome and AA)

This is something I started as a quick reference guide for myself when approached by the up and coming Stromm Zerks. I quickly figured out that there's no quick-reference guide for offensive disciplines (tome and AA alike) on GoBerserker yet, so this will continue to be a work in progress with the eternal wisdom of this forum doing the majority of the corrections while I sit idly and simple edit stuff.

If you don't think we need needs "another discipline thread" cool. Don't reply to the post and it will bother you no longer.

There already exists various threads that describe where to find tomes pre-OoW, OoW, DoDh, and TSS, so for the most-part this will be a compilation of information with, eventually, a simple description on how/when to use the disciplines. Again, a one-stop shop.

-----------------------------------------------------

Common terms you may see in the below listings:
Make Fragile - If you cast, hit, or get hit while a fragile-making disc is running, the disc will end.
Hundred Hands Effect - Reduces the effective delay of your weapon. Not a version of haste and thus stacks with all forms of haste.
Skill Attack (##) - Certain abilities aren't distinctly named in the EQ database. If you see this in a discipline, it is usually to designate an ability repeating.

Level 1

Throw Stone (MNK/1 ROG/1 WAR/1 BER/1)
The Ber/1 designation was recently removed from this tome, but is still usable. Find it at the monk tome vendor in the PoK library.
Endurance cost: 10/use
1: Decrease Hitpoints by 1

This is intended to be an ability that allows pure-melee to pull mobs from a minor range. This is not intended to be a DPS-discipline, but if you want to spam it for an extra point of damage every couple of ticks, go ahead. DPoB: This ability also, pretty reliably, can be used to break root!

Level 10

Focused Will Discipline (MNK/10 ROG/10 WAR/10 BER/10)
Endurance cost: 1 per second for 1 minute.
2: Make Fragile
6: Increase Hitpoints by 3 per tick

With the advent of Out-of-Combat regeneration, this discipline doesn't have the value it used to back in the day. However, if you're not twinked and you would like to supplement your your OOC regen with a little help, hit this disc in your downtime and you'll be up and ready a bit faster.

Level 30

Resistant Discipline (PAL/51 RNG/51 SHD/51 BRD/51 BST/51 MNK/30 ROG/30 WAR/30 BER/30)
Endurance cost: 3/second for 5 minutes.
1: Increase All Resists by 16 (L30) to 20 (L38)

I can't recall a situation near level thirty where I thought to myself "I could really use some higher resists" because getting hit by "Root" is part of growing up in EQ. However, if you find yourself fighting a caster (mob or pvp) and would like a bit more safety to help guarantee your survival, pop this discipline for that added bit of security.

Battle Cry (BER/30)
Endurance cost: 200 per use. 30 second Duration.
2: Hundred Hands Effect
11: Increase ATK by 10

This is your first group-enhancing ability. It's short duration, but is meant to give you and your group a bit of a DPS boost (by increase attack frequency and hit probability) when it is needed.

Level 40

Fearless Discipline (PAL/54 RNG/54 SHD/54 BRD/54 BST/54 MNK/40 ROG/40 WAR/40 BER/40)
Endurance cost: 6 per second for 1 minute.
1: Increase Chance to Resist Fear Spell by 10000%

This is a VERY useful discipline when making your way through content and you finally encounter DRAGONS! Most Kunark and later dragons are well known for 2 abilities: AE Fear and Dispell. Clicking this discipline will make you immune to their Fear spell for a limited time thus enabling your to continue DPSing. Be warned, however, that if everyone above you on the Dragon's hate list is feared, you'll be tanking it until a real tank comes back.

Level 50

War Cry (BER/50)
Endurance cost: 380 per use. 30 second duration.
11: Increase ATK by 20

Same thing as your last War/Battlecry except that it costs more endurance and gives a little more ATK.

Level 53

Inspired Anger Discipline (BER/53)
Endurance cost: 45 per second for Y ticks.
1: Increase Chance to Hit by 10000% with All Skills

Your first major DPS Discipline! This disc allows your to land every hit you attempt for a fixed amount of time. Best used on mobs you would otherwise not be able to land hits so frequently (yellow, red cons)

Level 54

Cleaving Rage Discipline (BER/54)
Endurance cost: 50 per second for 5 ticks.
1: Increase Chance to Critical Hit by 10000%

Your second major DPS Discipline! This disc allows all hits you land to be a critical hit. Best used on blue and lower con mobs as you must be able to land a hit before it can crit!

Level 55

Aura of Rage (BER/55)
Endurance cost: 165 for for 30 minutes.
1: Persistent Effect: Aura of Rage Effect [8959]

This is your first of 2 Auras. It increase the damage of your (and your groups) critical melee hits by 20%. Unlike your prior disciplines, this one is obtained via the Chalice of Life quest in The Ruins of Takish-Hiz from the PoR expansion. This and all other Auras show their buffs in the Song, or "Short-Buff" window. Having more than one of the of the same auras (2 berserkers with this aura for example) currently cancels out both auras. You cannot preemptively recast your your aura while your aura is still active. You must remove it first via the Aura window. If you do not have your aura window up, activate it via the EQ Button.

Rampage (BER/55 War/55)
AA Discipline: 5 AAs to receive the ability

Rampage allows you to instantly do a single attack on all mobs surrounding you in a small radius. Most zerks will advise you do not spend your AAs on this unless you plan on RampShaking/ShakerPaging .

Level 56

Reckless Discipline (BER/56)
Endurance cost: X/tick for Y ticks.
1: Increase Chance to Riposte by 10000%

This discipline (often referred to as the "riposte disc") allows you to riposte all incoming melee attacks coming at you from the front. This is great in situations where you are tanking at 15% and your healer needs some extra time to get a heal off. Also, if you have your Worker Sledgemallet, this discipline is useful when you are trying to "hammer out" on a mob, but are afraid you may be killed in the process. (Scroll down this thread to find the various ways to obtain the Worker Sledgemallet.)

Level 57

Battle Cry of Dravel (BER/57)
Endurance cost: X for Y ticks.
11: Increase ATK by 30

Another Warcry. More ATK at a higher cost of endurance.

Focused Fury Discipline (BER/57)
1: Increase All Skills Skill Check by 50%

<Insert explanation here>

Level 58

Blind Rage Discipline (BER/58)
1: Increase All Skills Damage Modifier by 100%
2: Increase All Skills Minimum Damage Modifier by 400%

This discipline will be one of, if not, your best DPS "burn" disciplines until level 75 and even then (!) there will be many uses for this disc. Simply put it makes all of your hits land for a MUCH higher amount of damage. This was most commonly used on raid mobs or in desperate situations prior to the advent of OOC regen. Now that anyone can regenerate all his/her endurance in only a couple minutes, you can efficiently use this discipline whenever you want-- just know that you may want a minute of downtime to recoup after the kill.

Level 59

Battle Focus Discipline (BER/59)
1: Increase Chance to Avoid Melee by 10000%

Often referred to as the "dodge disc", it allows you to dodge all incoming melee damage from the front.

Level 60

Burning Rage Discipline (BER/60)
1: Increase All Skills Damage Modifier by 30%

This disc increases all melee damage for a limited time.

Level 61

Sprint Discipline (BER/61)
1: Increase Movement by 125%

This Discipline is like a temporary Bard Speed Disc. Best time to use it? When you need to outrun a bunch of mobs... or when you want to run across the Karanas. It can be an emergency disc or a travel disc.

Rage Volley (BER/61)
Endurance cost: X per use.
1: Skill Attack(38)
2: Skill Attack(38)
3: Skill Attack(38)
4: Skill Attack(38)

This discipline is purchasable from the DoN vendors in Lavastorm using DoN crystals which are obtained by completing DoN adventures. Rage Volley (or just "volley") launches 4 imaginary axes at your target and is usable as a ranged or melee attack. The 4 attacks critical very often (regularly even) and have a very high innate accuracy. Given its short reuse timer and low endurance cost, this disc supplements Frenzy as an attack used at regular intervals to further increase your DPS. This discipline is affected by throwing damage mods.

Level 63

Healing Will Discipline (MNK/63 ROG/63 WAR/63 BER/63)
6: Increase Hitpoints by 100 per tick

This is an improved version of your level 10 Focused Will Discipline.

Indomitable Discipline (BER/63)
1: Stun Resist(100)

This discipline makes it impossible for you to be stunned. I can't say I have ever used it, so I'm hoping someone from the community may be able to give some insight on his/her experience.

Level 64

War Cry of Dravel (BER/64)
11: Increase ATK by 40

Another Warcry. Higher Endurance cost, more ATK.

Level 65

Battle Cry of the Mastruq (BER/65)
11: Increase ATK by 50

Another Warcry. Higher Endurance cost, more ATK.

Ancient Cry of Chaos (BER/65)
11: Increase ATK by 60

Another Warcry. Higher Endurance cost, more ATK. However, this Warcry is special in that it's obtained by turning in a Chaos Rune which drop only from high-difficulty GoD Raid encounters.

Cleaving Anger Discipline (BER/65)
1: Increase Chance to Critical Hit by 200%
2: Increase Chance to Crippling Blow by 200%

This is another DPS Discipline that will stay in your arsenal for quite a while. This disc allows you to perform "crippling blows" (a super-critical hit) where you would otherwise be landing critical hits while also increasing the chance of executing a critical/crippling blow. Without disciplines, only warriors are able to execute crippling blows and even then, only with low HP.

Desperation (BER/65)
AA Discipline: 12 AAs to receive the ability

Use of this ability causes the your attacks to take a "desperate" edge. As you get closer to death, you will attack faster. As great as this discipline seems, most elder zerks are very unhappy with it. (1)To use it, you have to be low HP which counters the motto "A dead Zerk does no DPS". (2)Most healers will instinctually heal you when you are low health, so your disc will go to waste. (3)Lastly, it doesn't stack with any existing overhaste.

Untamed Rage (BER/65)
AA Discipline: 3 AAs to receive the ability but requires more ranks of AAs to achieve maximum effectiveness

Using this ability causes you to fall into a rage, attacking your opponent with no thought for your own safety. With each rank, your damage dealing capabilities are increased, but you lose more of your own defenses. This discipline does NOT stack with other disciplines.

Level 66

Unpredictable Rage Discipline (BER/66)
1: Add Defensive Proc: Increase Damage Effect rate mod 150

This discipline give you a chance to proc a self-buff when you are hit. The resulting buff increases the damage of your hits for a small amount of time. I have never used this discipline so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. Again, I hope the community will step in here.

Level 68

Unflinching Will Discipline (BER/68)
1: Increase Chance to Resist Spell by 100%

This is another very useful discipline for tough encounters as it makes you 100% invulnerable to most spells. Use it when those AEs would otherwise burn though your HP. Anyone have input as to how effective this is in PvP?

Cry Havoc (BER/68)
1: Increase Chance to Critical Hit by 100%
This is a Warcry-like ability that grants you and your group double the normal chance to critical hit with melee attacks. You can obtain this by completing the 68.1 spell arc in the DoDh expansion.

Blood Pact (BER/68)
AA Discipline: 3 AAs to receive the ability but requires more ranks of AAs to achieve maximum effectiveness

While this ability is active, you will push yourself beyond your limits. Your damage output will increase, but you will also take a portion of the damage yourself.

Savage Spirit (BER/68)

While this ability is active you will be fueled by your rage causing your melee critical hits to land for massive damage. When the ability wears off, though, it drains a significant portion of your HP.

Level 69

Destroyer's Volley (BER/69)
Endurance cost: X/use.
1: Skill Attack(49)
2: Skill Attack(49)
3: Skill Attack(49)
4: Skill Attack(49)

This is an upgrade to Rage Volley. It hits harder. You can obtain this by completing Tier 2 of either the Dark Reign or Norrath's Keepers progression in the DoN Expansion.

Level 70

Vengeful Flurry Discipline (BER/70)
1: Add Attack Chance(100)
2: Increase Double Attack by 10000%
3: Hundred Hands Effect

This is another long-lasting DPS discipline to adds to your arsenal. This discipline greatly increases the chance for you execute a double (thus triple, and flurry) attack. It, unlike Blind Rage and Cleaving Anger has its own Hundred Hands Effects so it's almost like a Warcry+DPS Disc.

Bloodthirst (BER/70)
3: Add Defensive Proc: Bloodthirst Effect rate mod 400

This is another disc like warcry except instead of giving a buff directly to your group, it gives them a chance to proc a buff when that increase the damage of their melee attacks. Think of it as a group version of the Unpredictable Rage Discipline. This disc is most effectively used, in my experience, when your group, or raid, needs to melee DPS a mob with AE ramp. To obtain this disc, you must complete one of these quests from PoR in Devastation.

Bloodlust Aura (BER/70)
1: Persistent Effect: Bloodlust Aura Effect [8478]

This is your second Aura as a Zerk. It increases your group's critical melee damage by 30%. This disc is obtained by completing the mission "Skylance: The Laboratory" in the PoR expansion.

Cascading Rage (BER/70)
AA Discipline: 5 AAs to receive the ability but requires more ranks of AAs to achieve maximum effectiveness. Requires Untamed Rage at Level 3.

This ability infuses you with a primal rage increasing your melee abilities, but you will also take damage. The damage will come as procs of damage that will also kick you up to the next damage modifier. You cannot interrupt this discipline.

Cry of Battle (BER/70)
AA Discipline: 12 AAs to receive the ability. Requires Echoing Cries at Level 3.

This is the our ability analogous to the casters' MGB. Click it before clicking one of your Warcrys and you will MGB that Warcry. Using this ability will double the endurance cost of your Warcry.

Level 71

Steely Will Discipline (MNK/71 ROG/71 WAR/71 BER/71)
This discipline is NOT live and we have no information beyond its Lucy Spell Information.
6: Increase Hitpoints by 90 per tick

Hold the Line (BER/71)
AA Discipline: 9 AAs to receive the ability.

This discipline increases the amount of HP healed by healing spells that land on your by 10% but reduces your offenseive damage output by 25%

Blinding Fury (BER/71)
AA Discipline: 3 AAs to receive the ability but requires more ranks of AAs to achieve maximum effectiveness.

This disc increases your attack speed and ability to double attack , but be warned that you have a chance to be blinded as a result.

Level 72

Unsettling Scream (BER/72)
1: Skill Damage Taken(6)
2: Skill Damage Taken(13)

Unsettling Scream is an awesome disc for Raid Target burns or axe-kiting. It is a debuff that makes your target weak to (take more damage than usual from) archery and throwing. Rangers would love it if you used this disc as they began burning Trueshot (and make sure to tie social/emote message to the disc so as to let them know you are using it!). The Rank2 and Rank3 version boost the effectiveness of this tome.

Level 73

Uncanny Resilience (BER/73)

This is essentially a mitigation buff that reduces a percentage of incoming melee damage up to a particular maximum per level. Further levels of this discipline increase the duration of the buff along with the maximum amount of damage that can be mitigated.

Level 75

Berserking Discipline (BER/75)
1: Increase All Skills Damage Modifier by 117%
2: Increase All Skills Minimum Damage Modifier by 468%

This is the new DPS Discipline to come with the TSS Expansion. It's on the same timer as Blind Rage and does MUCH more damage but costs a lot of endurance too. It is definitely our highest DPS Discipline, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will never need Blind Rage again.

Battle Leap (BER/75)
AA Discipline: 9 AAs to receive the ability.

Battle Leap enables you to execute a powerful jump into combat which boosts your attacks for a short time. Use of this discipline removes any levitation effects on you.

Giantslayer's Volley (BER/75)
This discipline is NOT live
Endurance cost: X/use.
1: Skill Attack(88)
2: Skill Attack(88)
3: Skill Attack(88)
4: Skill Attack(88)

This discipline was expected to come out with the TSS expansion as a Destroyer's Volley replacement +Giant Bane Damage, but we couldn't find it once the expansion went live. Since then, there has been discussion on the potential of bringing the discipline live, but there has been no reason to believe it will ever be added .

Moment of Rage (BER/75)
This discipline is NOT live and we have no information beyond its Lucy Spell Information.
1: Decrease Hitpoints by 1200
2: Increase Endurance by 3600

Attention was brought to the GoBerserker community about the Lucy Spell Information on this discipline, but we have no reason to believe it will ever be added in any way shape or form. I'm leaving this here as it is the Holy Grail of being a Berserker and is just so wonderful to look at.

ALL ZERK AAs! <-- Click Link, go to "View", go to "List View", sort and plan your AA path! (updated 4/22/10)

Nooblets of Stromm/Luclin! Feel free to contact me in game on either Lilbraen or Yummeyummedwarf. I'm always open to questions, but do not take offense if I say something like, "I'll have to get back to you. I bit off more than I can chew."

Last edited by Lilbraen : 09-21-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

discs by expansion here

ALL ZERK AAs! <-- Click Link, go to "View", go to "List View", sort and plan your AA path! (updated 4/22/10)

Nooblets of Stromm/Luclin! Feel free to contact me in game on either Lilbraen or Yummeyummedwarf. I'm always open to questions, but do not take offense if I say something like, "I'll have to get back to you. I bit off more than I can chew."
Old 12-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

quotes from other threads describing disc burn stacking and sequences

Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

timers go here

Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Ferocious

Is throw stone available anywhere? I believe that can be used to break roots since it works like a nuke.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

I used it as a baby zerk... think I got it in the tutorial.

My GF still uses it as a zerk pre-61 as she doesn't yet have volley and is a staunch believer of "all dps is good dps".

Yes, that's less than 1 damage per second. Way less.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Rabid

Throw stone is no longer available to berserkers. Currently the discipline is flagged as rog mnk and war. I bought the disc anyways and tried to hand it in for one of my alt zerkers, with no luck

Many zerks have it from before this change, but I don't believe it is currently possible to get it if you don't have it.

Also it does break roots and you can use it to remove the DPoB zonewide ae as long as the rank you are trying to remove has a snare component.

The Official 3 Foot Tall DPS Machine TM
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoberzerker
Throw stone is no longer available to berserkers. Currently the discipline is flagged as rog mnk and war. I bought the disc anyways and tried to hand it in for one of my alt zerkers, with no luck

Many zerks have it from before this change, but I don't believe it is currently possible to get it if you don't have it.

Also it does break roots and you can use it to remove the DPoB zonewide ae as long as the rank you are trying to remove has a snare component.
Fantastic info! Any idea when it was removed?

Old 12-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Savage

Unless it was in the last two weeks that is wrong. A friend of mine made a new zerker just after thanksgiving break and has throwstone. He got it from the monk vendor in pok and uses it all the time.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishell
Unless it was in the last two weeks that is wrong. A friend of mine made a new zerker just after thanksgiving break and has throwstone. He got it from the monk vendor in pok and uses it all the time.
Looks like I'll be checking this when the servers are back up. I can check the PoK vendor to see if it's there and usable.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Angry Clown

I just logged on the Test server (since Live servers are still down) and tried it, it's still possible to learn the ability.

The tome only lists Mnk/Rog/War but it works nonetheless.

You can purchase it from Beorobin Amondson in the PoK library. It's a Monk Tome vendor standing next to the Berserker Tome vendors.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbaja
I just logged on the Test server (since Live servers are still down) and tried it, it's still possible to learn the ability.

The tome only lists Mnk/Rog/War but it works nonetheless.

You can purchase it from Beorobin Amondson in the PoK library. It's a Monk Tome vendor standing next to the Berserker Tome vendors.
Thank you, Kumba! Now to find out if zerks are "supposed" to be able to use it or if the zerk designation was accidentally removed.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Angry Clown

We were never removed from the Tome list, we were never added in the first place =P

We are supposed to have that skill, it's just a misflaged item. Unlike spells scrolls, who get their class/level indications directly from the spell data, the melee tomes need to be "hand made" and the item creator just forgot to add us for some reason. The spell itself has always had Berserker as one of the useable classes.

I'll see if I can get the BER tag added to the tome and added to the Ber vendor in the library to make it less confusing.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbaja
I'll see if I can get the BER tag added to the tome and added to the Ber vendor in the library to make it less confusing.
The new zerks thank you.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Savage

Yea it's def a helpful tool I still use it at 75 when there is no puller available in Vald and we r forced to ghetto CC everything by using root and rooting them away from the group...so I use throw stone to break the root to bring the next mob closer to our group...just make sure the tank has aggro b4 u break the root since it is a very small range on it and u'll prob be hit several times b4 u make it back to the group lol
Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Sexiest of All!

This is excellent Lib. Are you going to be replacing the "X/tick for Y ticks" with actual numbers?

I have also stickied it

Canadian Girls Kick Ass
Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamudanie
This is excellent Lib. Are you going to be replacing the "X/tick for Y ticks" with actual numbers?

I have also stickied it
Yes, I will be making those number replacement. *puts on hard hat* It's a work in progress. =-)

Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Frantic

I notice you have a spot for timers, one thing I tend to forgets most offten is what disc is on what timer with other disc. Any chance you'll be group disc by their shared timers?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Patron Zerk of Newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabeDoll
I notice you have a spot for timers, one thing I tend to forgets most offten is what disc is on what timer with other disc. Any chance you'll be group disc by their shared timers?

Thanks
That's the plan. I know there's a shared-timer table here on the site, but I am yet to reference it to see if it is up-to-date. Either way, I'll be using it as a base.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Sexiest of All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbraen
discs by expansion here
Okay before I was so rudely interupted by work I was going to post this.

When you say discs by expansion are you planning to list out all the discs again and then say which expansion that you require to be able to get these?

If that is the case we already have a tome list that indicates what is available at what level and how/where to buy/find it. In some cases there is already a notation of which expansion they came from. We (read I here) can update this to include the others that do not come from the original EQ if you feel there is a need for it and you can link to that post in this one rather than adding the additional length here.

Canadian Girls Kick Ass